Monday, December 22, 2008

Day Before the Night Before Christmas Almost


Well this is it Christmas is just 2 days away and I am as done as I can be. The gifts are bought and wrapped and ready to go under the tree or to be delivered. I haven't baked my cookies yet I may get to them but if not they will be done before New Years. I also have to make my French Meat Pies for New Years. This is a tradition from my great grandmother who came from Canada. My grandmother passed the recipe down to me and I will pass it on to my daughter and daughter-in-laws. I also make molasses cookies only at this time of year they also came to me from my grandmother but this grandmother was from my mother's side and her (my great grandmother) was from Ireland. It is a special cooking time when I make these items as they always bring me thoughts of happiness of long ago times. I remember cooking with my grandmothers and the talks that we would share and the little but special parts of my growing that stayed with me to this day. I hope that everyone has a "special" holiday memory and that you pass it down to your children to be shared for many many years. I can remember going to visit with my grandmother and she had a big kitchen stove that was heated with kerosene and she would put a slice of bread on the flat burners and then flatten the bread with a heavy pan or flat iron in less then a minute it was toasted and she would butter/jam it and give it to me we call it flat toast and it is delicious. I can remember sleeping over and the smells of her house and the clocks ticking in the quiet of the night. So many memories.................. I wish all of you such happy memories with your children and families. Enjoy each day as it is special and only comes once.

1 comment:

Cool Design Shelties said...

Merry Christmas to you, your family and the dogs :o)

Best wishes
//Bente